Dana Gaier is best known for her voiceover work, portraying Edith in the highly-successful animated features Despicable Me and Despicable Me 2. She will reprise this role in the third chapter of the franchise alongside Steve Carell, Miranda Cosgrove, and Trey Parker. Dana’s live action work includes a supporting role in the recently-wrapped indie horror feature, The Ice Cream Truck, which will be released in summer of 2017.
Photo Courtesy of Kenneth Dolin
1. What are the projects that you are currently working on? Please tell us a little about it.
I am currently working on Despicable Me 3, which is set to release this summer. Gru and the girls are back for the third installment of the franchise and it’s going to be filled with action, love, and a lot of laughs. I also worked on an indie movie this summer called The Ice Cream Truck, which will be released either in late Summer or Fall. I have a small, but important role and it was really fun and different to act in an onscreen film.
2. Please tell us what do you feel is your biggest achievement?
I would have to say that my biggest achievement was getting into UCLA. I worked really hard in school and UCLA had been a dream of mine since I was younger. I was so excited when I found out that I was accepted.
3. Besides acting, what are you passionate about?
I am extremely passionate about singing and playing guitar. There’s nothing better than when I have the free time and the inspiration to sit down and write a song. It’s a great way to express myself and I love music. I’m also really passionate about learning. Whether it’s academically or artistically, I feel that you can never stop learning and you should use every opportunity you have to learn something valuable.
4. How do you prepare for a role?
I like to relate scenes to my own circumstances that may be similar. I feel if I can make any slight connection between a role and my life it makes my acting feel so much more genuine.
5. Why and when did you decide to start you acting career?
I’ve always loved singing and performing since I was a young girl. When my older sister was young she was involved in community theater shows and I thought that was really cool so I decided to get involved too. My sister was also in the industry before I was and the opportunity to audition for a commercial she was auditioning or came up for me. I was really excited to get in front of casting directors.
6. If you could travel the world with anyone whom would you take?
It would probably be my sister Jillian. She’s been my role model for as long as I can remember. She’s two years older than me and a Senior at the University of Texas at Austin. Whenever we go somewhere together we always have a good time. I think she’d be an awesome person to see the world with.
7. Despicable Me 3 is about to be released this Summer. Could you please tell us what would happen in the movie?
This movie is definitely a lot of fun and if you liked the first two you’ll love this one as well. There are some new characters added that will add to the fun including Gru’s twin brother Dru and a villain who seems to be caught in the 80’s. Trey Parker, one of the creators of South Park, joined the cast too, which is awesome!
8. As part of the movie, could you please tell us what do you think the audience will be attracted and love about the series?
I really think that there’s something for everyone in the series. You have silly humor, adult humor, a little bit of drama and everything in between. It’s easy to fall in love with Gru and the girls.
9. So many young actresses are committed to public service, setting a great example for their peers in terms of being involved with charities and the community. What causes are important to you, and what do you do to support them?
I have always loved volunteering and getting involved in community service. My family is a big supporter of MEND—Meet Each Need with Dignity—an organization in Los Angeles that strives to end poverty. Also, being apart of my sorority has given me the opportunity to help raise money for Girls on the Run, which is an organization that aims to empower young girls.
10. Please tell us what do you feel is the biggest challenge in your acting career?
I think the biggest challenge would be the fact that when I do voiceover, I am creating the interaction all on my own. You record by yourself in the booth, so the emotions kind of have to be manifested out of thin air as opposed to having someone to react to. I think it’s made me a better actress overall and I’m really grateful for the challenge.
11. How can your fans interact with you online? And what’s your fan mail address?
I love instagram and I think twitter is a great way to tell people what you’re up to. Both my instagram and twitter handles are @danagaier and fan mail can be sent to email@example.com, Abrams Artists Agency, or the Green Room Management.
12. Favorite Sport: Lacrosse
Favorite Music: Billy Joel
Travel Destination: Hawaii
Favorite TV Show: Friends
13. Do you, and your character Edith have anything in common?
I think that we both kind of have a girly and tough side to us. I love that Edith wears pink, which is considered to be really feminine, but her style is more that of a tomboy so she has an edge to her.
14. Now for my last question: what do you want to say to those who wish to pursue their careers in Hollywood?
I don’t think people realize how much rejection there is in this industry. You’ll be told no a million times before you are told yes and that’s just part of the job. The important part is to remember why you wanted to get involved in acting in the first place. If you keep sight of that, you’ll never lose faith.
Follow Teens Weekly Insider on Twitter (@Teen_Insider) and Instagram (@teenweeklyinsider)