Photo Courtesy of Amy Pogue
1. What are the projects that you are currently working on? Please tell us a little about it.
I’m in Disney’s brand new show "Andi Mack"! It’s really exciting because it’s one of Disney’s first ever serialized shows, and the twist in it is really breaking some barriers. My character’s name is Cyrus, and he is one of Andi’s two best friends.
2. Please tell us what do you feel is your biggest achievement?
I’m very proud of my acting work of course, but over the last few years, once a week I’ve been able to have the privilege of going to schools around Los Angeles and in my own neighborhood, and reading to kids. Seeing the looks on their faces when I make the characters come to life lights my heart up, and it makes me feel like I’m really making a change in someone’s life. Even in the largest, most spread out metropolis in America, some kids still have no books at home, and it’s so important that kids learn about how exciting and fun it is to read!
3. Besides acting, what are you passionate about?
I’m very passionate, as you can see, about my charity work, but alongside that, one of my biggest hobbies is to read and watch the news. I have some random 24-hour news channel on at almost all hours of the day!
4. How do you prepare for a role?
I like to prep for an audition by coming up with backstories in my head about my character. What happened in the scene before this? Why is he so happy about this, and sad about that? Coming up with why my character would do something always leads to how I will act it.
5. Can you tell us a little bit about your role in Andi Mack? How would you describe Cyrus?
Cyrus is one of Andi’s two best friends. He’s quirky, not athletic, and generally just a little awkward. He’s got a sense of humor that can make just about anyone laugh. Cyrus doesn’t fit in with anyone but Andi and Buffy…and he wouldn’t want to anyway.
6. How would you describe the relationship between Andi Mack and Cyrus?
I think Andi and Cyrus are very close. Andi is the kind of friend who aways has your back, and Cyrus is the one you can tell anything to, which makes their interactions really fun.
7. Please tell us what do you feel is the biggest challenge in your acting career?
Letting go is hard. To say something like “no, I can’t do that because I don’t have time” (which is always sad, but school comes before acting so I do have to turn things down sometimes!) is always tough.
8. So many young actors are committed to public service, setting a great example for their peers in terms of being involved with charities and the community. What causes are important to you, and what do you do to support them?
I work heavily with SAG’s organization, BookPals, and Read Across America, for reading like I spoke about earlier, but a cause that is very important to me aside from those is UNICEF and their “School In A Box” program. The School In A Box is a box that can give 40 kids an education for months in a country where, in the past, it would have been impossible to give kids the education they deserve. The School In The Box is a really incredible program, from an amazing organization like UNICEF, so I love being able to work with them.
9. As a teen actor, how do you strike the balance between schoolwork and your career?
Priorities. School always takes priority one, then comes career. Acting will always be here for me, but a good education is something I can only get at this point in my life.
10. Do you, and your character Cyrus have anything in common?
Cyrus’ dry sense of humor is something I love to draw comparisons to! I love a good sarcastic joke!
11. How can your fans interact with you online? And what’s your fan mail address?
My fan mail address can be found at the bottom of my website, JoshuaRush.com. You can catch up on Instagram and Twitter (@JoshuaRush), facebook.com/JoshuaRushOfficial and persongoingfast.tumblr.com!
12. As part of the show, Andi Mack, what do you think the viewers would be attracted by it and love about the series?
I think people are going to be really surprised by how real it is! People are going to love the natural feel the show has!
13. Favorite Sport: American football! My favorite team is the Texans!
Favorite Music: I really like Alt-J. Their original album (An Awesome Wave) is one of a very small number of albums I’ve ever listened all the way through in one sitting.
Travel Destination: TLV (Ben Gurion Airport, Tel Aviv, Israel), because it means I’ll be seeing my family soon!
Favorite TV Show: 30Rock! I’m on my third watch-through!
Dream College: Yale, because Go Bulldogs! I want to get a political science degree, and an East Coast Ivy League school like Yale is a dream come true!
14. How is your typical day like when you’re not working?
I’ll wake up, make some breakfast, do school, maybe take a bike ride, eat lunch, do more school, get bored of doing school, read the news, maybe go see a friend, watch the news, eat dinner, get ready for bed, watch a late-night show, go to sleep. It’s not nearly as exciting as most people think my life is!
15. Now for my last question: what do you want to say to those who wish to pursue their careers in Hollywood?
It’s a great job and it’s really gratifying. But it is hard, and you can’t do it alone. Get a coach. Raw talent can be honed to acting prowess with a coach, and that’s what you need. Also, don’t expect to make it big right away. It takes years to get the formula right, and even then you still need a dash of luck to get everything right. I consider it 25/50/25 luck/skill/coach. You need all of them!
Follow us on Twitter (@Teen_Insider) and Instagram (@teenweeklyinsider) for the latest news and interviews